Home Forums Introduce yourself Hi everyone

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Davin Basi Davin Basi 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nikita Driscoll
    Nikita Driscoll
    Participant

Hi, my name is Nikita. I’ve had visual snow syndrome since I was probably about 9 years old. My exact age is unknown. I just remember thinking at somepoint and time “oh, I’m seeing the little particles of color. Neat!” Until probably undergraduate when it definitely stopped being “neat.” I am one of those unfortunate individuals who has the symptoms seeming to intensify every decade or so, so I initially thought it was optic migraine damage. I first came across the name “visual snow” in 2013, but doctors didn’t believe me and my family drastically minimized what I was talking about.

I was finally diagnosed last week by a neuropthamologist last week, and have never felt lighter. This webpage has definitely helped too. I created a list of my symptoms and shared it (and the symptom link on this page) with my family. That way they can actually see examples of what I deal with.

Yes. my visual snow has impacted my life. But luckily not as much as it could have. The worst of my systems didn’t start showing up until the last 3 years (i.e. heavy starbursts, glares, and thicker snow). I was able to finish graduate school and move to a place where I don’t have to drive – in just the nick of time. Unfortunately, my bookworm tendencies are slowing. I’m still trying to find new ways to read books without the noise, glares, etc. (kindles bother me because of glare, ghosting, and my eyes just can’t stay on a single line of text).

I like to think the visual snow has given me something I’d never get otherwise. Christmas lights are even more gorgeous now!

Davin Basi
    Davin Basi
    Keymaster

Hello Nikita!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I’m very sorry to hear about how VS has affected you.

It is so great to hear about how this website has helped you (thank you) – it is exactly how I hoped it would be used by people, particularly in terms of helping family/friends understand the condition.

I love the last sentence. I also like to think that VS has made me into who I am today.

Best wishes

Davin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu