Home Forums Treatments What has worked for you?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam O'NeilSam O’Neil
    Participant

I was wondering what’s worked for people with alleviating the symptoms of visual snow and tinnitus.  I know that neither can completely go away or be cured at this point.

Before I even knew there were names to what I’ve been experiencing for what feels like years now, I have used some methods to help.  I’ve used a fan for years to help with sleeping at night with tinnitus.  Now, I also use calming music without lyrics (I find playlists on Spotify) while I’m reading or working on a project, so I’m not so focused on the ringing when it’s quiet.  Otherwise, I haven’t noticed if diet or exercise improves either visual snow or tinnitus.  Again, I just recently found out that visual snow is a something that people have (I thought it was normal).  Considering if this is neurological, I wonder if there is a vitamin or type of diet that may help?

I’m curious to hear other people’s experiences of what they tried.. whether if they found a method that worked or didn’t work for them.

Megan AndersenMegan Andersen
    Participant

I’m not sure if this will be of any help, but I have tried eliminating dairy products. That seemed to help slightly with the visual symptoms.  I have also tried to reduce sodium intake because my eye symptoms always seem to be worse if I’ve eaten very salty foods.

For the anxiety end of things I have tried going to acupuncture monthly.  This seems to help as well.

I hope you can find something to alleviate your sypmtoms!

From,

Megan

Davin Basidavin
    Keymaster

Hello Sam! Thank you for posting on the forum. The only thing i’ve ever tried is supplementing with magnesium, co-enzyme Q10 and riboflavin as it has been shown to have a prophylactic effect on migraines. I can’t say that it worked. I’ve never really tried anything else because I’ve always been wary of making it worse – at the moment I can live with VS! It definitely depends on the person though – I’d say my VS is quite passive and constant, whereas other people’s is more dynamic and perhaps responsive to change.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Davin Basi.
    Nikita DriscollNikita Driscoll
    Participant

Hi Sam,

The neuropthamologist started me on Lamictal and artificial tears. It’s too early to see if they help. I’ve tried dietary, exercise, and medication/yoga. Really, they’re all good lifestyle choices, but didn’t alter the visual snow at all.

Because of that, I usually try to modify my environment so that it’s less stressful (less extraneous visual and auditory stimuli). I use a flashcard to read, use public transportation, and really listen to my body. If my brain fog is heavy, I switch to work that requires less heavy concentration. If I am clear-minded, I will powerhouse through projects. I’ve noticed that I work better between 7-11 at work. So I make sure to use that time efficiently. Also, if it just gets to be too much and my brain feels overwhelmed (I think the VS might me instigating migraine headaches), I will take myself to bed early (this happens almost once a week).

I’m not sure if that helps you at all, but that’s currently what’s working for me.

Lin RLin R
    Participant

Hey!

Especially in the beginning i tried so hard to find things which would help to alleviate the symptoms. Didn’t find many things. ASMR/calm music helps me to forget tinnitus in the evening. When studying, i remember to let myself have breaks if i’m starting to brain fog too much.

I have also found some things that worsen the symptoms; unstable life rythms, alcohol, hangover.. (although if you drink alcohol, remember to drink water too!) Those make everything just so much worse. I also tried to eat some pills a doctor signed for me, but they just gave me a massive headache, nothing else.

However, because of going to gym and trying some mew supplements, i started to use BCAA’s (amino-acids; leucine, isoleucine & valine) And then one day i realized that they help me with brain fogs & make me feel much more concentrated and better in general. Also the visual snow flickering doesn’t feel that bad at those times when i’ve had some.

It doesn’t help only for the gym, but for some reason i feel like my VS symptoms alleviate a decent amount when using some BCAA’s. So i could maybe suggest you to TRY to eat more some BCAA-rich food, maybe try some BCAA drinks? I can’t promise it’ll help but i think it’s at least worth trying.

For them who are not that familiar with BCAA’s, they are already naturally found in your body and play a big part in for example your protein synthesis, so i’m not suggesting you to put some weird foreign stuff in your body. You can also google about them if you want 🙂

hope this helps, let me know if you try it?

Joe CJoe c
    Participant

This time last year, I started to get VS after I believe I caught a flu. The day I caught he flu I experienced a headache like nothing I’ve felt before, it complete disable me, I couldn’t walk fast and my head felt like it was going to explode. I’m a easy going fit 27 year old which no ill health history, so this was concerning to me.

Im not sure if this all related, but a day or two later I notice my vision deteriorated, like having bad reception on a TV with floaters and  extreme light sensitively . I remember looking at my boss standing 20 metre away and thinking I could not see him.

Like we have, I went to a GP doctor, the eye hospital,  a neurologist  and underwent all examinations ( MRI, CT, xrays, blood test etc), which all came back normal and these medical professional had no clue as to what it was. I finally did enough research online and figured out it may be VS. I booked an appointment with a neuro-ophthalmologist  but couldn’t get an appointment for months!  I recall trying a number of different medications to see what would work to fix my vision.

My Third week with VS,  after trying a number of different medications I took took Ibuprofen  which dramatically improved my vision by 80%! I don;t why this helped, it may have to do something with minimising the inflammation that was causing the VS…. I don’t know… This treatment may have been more effective given it was taken in the initial stages of my VS episode. So I recommend trying this first  if this is relatively new to you! There’s no harm in it.

It’s been a year since then and I’d say my vision is back to 90-95%. I still experience very mild VS, still have the floaters, a weird burst of light/blur that I see when I move my eyes when looking at light ( maybe this is called Starburst) , moderate tinnitus in the right ear, Eustachian tube disfunction  and some headaches… I don’t know whats linked to the VS or not.  I don’t suffer from anxiety or depression in factor I’ve been described as too relaxed!

I’ve worked out the headaches are relieved by neck stretches and exercises. Meditation and exercise ( particularly heavy  cardio) assist with the tinnitus  and Eustachian tube disfunction.

Once I saw neuro-ophthalmologist, she recommended I conduct Electrophysiology Eye Testing among other tests, which came back all normal. She determined it was VS and gave me a daily dose of Lamotrigine. I found that Lamotrigine helped me with the headaches and some muscle spasms I was having at the time but not the VS.

I find after waking up, meditating for 20 mins, followed by 10 mins of stretching ( especially neck stretches), followed  an hour of gym helps me greatly.

I’m trying different things all the time, I’m now trying CBD pills to see if this works.

my advice… Panicking and stressing will only make the symptoms worsen!   Keep trying different things and see what works for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu